MEDICARE PART B PREMIUM REIMBURSEMENT FOR 2021
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has increased the standard Medicare Part B monthly premium to $148.50 effective January 1, 2021; however, you may pay a different amount determined by CMS.
- If you are a new Medicare Part B enrollee in 2021, you will be reimbursed the standard monthly premium of $148.50 and do not need to provide additional documentation.
- If you received a Medicare Part B reimbursement of $144.60 on your pension check in 2020, you do not need to provide documentation and your Part B reimbursement will automatically increase to $148.50 for 2021.
- If you received less than a $144.60 Medicare Part B
reimbursement on your pension check in 2020, LAFPP will
notify you by email or mail with instructions on how to update
your Part B premium amount on record.
To update your Part B reimbursement for the 2021 calendar year, please submit a copy of your:
- Social Security New Benefit Amount statement for 2021; or
- Next Medicare monthly or quarterly billing statement (if you do not receive Social Security benefits)
To update your Part B reimbursement for premiums paid during the 2020 calendar year, please submit a copy of your:
- Social Security Form 1099 for 2020; or
- First Medicare monthly or quarterly billing statement for 2020
Please send all documents to LAFPP’s Medical and Dental Benefits Section via:
- Email to: email@example.com;
- Fax to: (213) 628-7782; or
- Mail to: Department of Fire and Police Pensions, Attn: Medical & Dental Benefits, 701 E. 3rd Street, Suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Due to the anticipated high volume of submissions, it may take at
least three months to process your Part B documentation and
update your reimbursement amount on your LAFPP pension
As a reminder, Part B reimbursement only applies to Retirees or Qualified Survivors who are eligible for an LAFPP health subsidy and are enrolled in both Medicare Parts A and B. Any additional Part B penalties or fees charged by CMS are not eligible for reimbursement.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know if I am eligible for Part B reimbursement?
You must be a retired member or qualified survivor who is receiving a pension and is eligible for a health subsidy, and enrolled in both Medicare Parts A and B.
What document do I need to submit to receive my correct Part B reimbursement amount?
You must submit a copy of your Social Security benefits verification statement (your “New Benefit Amount”) or a copy of a 2021 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) billing statement.
My spouse (non-LAFPP member) is currently enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. Does he/she need to submit Medicare Part B premium documentation?
No. Only the retired member or Qualified Survivor enrolled in Parts A and B is eligible for Medicare Part B premium reimbursement.
I received a letter stating that I pay a higher Part B premium based on my income level (Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount – “IRMAA”). May I submit this letter as proof of my Part B premium?
Yes. You may submit a copy of the first page of your IRMAA letter if it contains your name, address and 2021 monthly Medicare Part B premium deduction. LAFPP does not reimburse IRMAA fees, so your Part B reimbursement will not exceed the 2021 standard monthly premium of $148.50.
I receive a monthly Social Security payment, but I did not receive / cannot locate my “New Benefit Amount” Statement from Social Security. What should I do?
You may call or visit your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office. You may also access proof of your 2021 Medicare Part B basic premium online at the SSA website: www.ssa.gov/myaccount. You may be required to create or register your SSA account. Please note that once you have an online account, your SSA notifications will be emailed to you.
When do I need to provide LAFPP documentation of my Part B Premium?
You may submit your documentation at any time during 2021 and receive a retroactive reimbursement for up to twelve (12) pension roll months from the date your submission is received.
If you have additional questions about your Medicare Part B reimbursement, please contact the Medical and Dental Benefits Section at (213) 279-3115, toll free at (844) 88-LAFPP ext. 93115, or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.