2021 Tax Form 1099-R Now Available on MyLAFPP
The 2021 Form 1099-R is now available for retired members and beneficiaries on MyLAFPP. It is the easiest and fastest way to view and print your tax statement without waiting for delivery to your mailing address.
If you have not yet created a MyLAFPP account, you will need a PIN number to register. Please contact the Communications & Education Section at (213) 279-3155 or send an email to email@example.com with your contact number and we will return your call during business hours.
We recommend viewing and downloading your Form 1099-R on a computer.
- Log in to MyLAFPP
- Click Forms and Correspondence
- Click Statements
- Locate “1099R-Tax Year 2021”
- Click “Document” to open and download your 1099-R
For the full guide with screenshots visit here: https://www.lafpp.com/post/how-download-form-1099r
HARD COPY FORM 1099-R
Alternatively, the form 1099-R was mailed on Monday, January 31, 2022 to the mailing address we have on file for you. Please allow at least one week for your tax statement to be delivered to your mailing address before contacting LAFPP.
PLEASE REVIEW THE FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THIS AND OTHER TAX FORM INQUIRIES.
Why did I receive more than one 1099-R?
Some members may receive more than one 1099-R tax form in a year. Here are some of the possible reasons:
- You exited DROP and received at least one monthly pension payment in the same year (one 1099-R for DROP, one 1099-R for monthly pension payments)
- You have a non-tax dependent covered on your LAFPP-subsidized health insurance plan (e.g., domestic partner or child of a domestic partner)
- Your IRS tax distribution code changed during the year (e.g., when member attains 59 ½ years old by June of the same year)
- You moved to a different state during the year
- You received pension payments based on your City service and from a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) or as a beneficiary
What does each box represent in the 1099-R
Box 1 – Total gross distribution
Box 2a – Your total taxable amount. (If you are retired on a Service-Connected Disability pension, this box will show $0.00)
Box 4 – Federal income tax withheld
Box 5 – Basis recovery distributed
Box 7 – Distribution codes
- 1 = Under 59.5 years old
- 2 = Under 59.5 years old, exception applies
- 3 = Disability
- 4 = Death
- 7 = Over 59.5 years old, normal distribution
- 9 = Taxable Health Subsidy
- G = Rollover of a distribution to a qualified plan (e.g., DROP distribution)
Box 14 – California State tax withheld
Box 15 – LAFPP’s state and Payer Number (This reflects LAFPP’s information only)
Box 16 – Total amount subject to California state taxes
Why does my 1099-R Taxable Amount (Box 2a) not equal the total amount on my pension statement?
You should be comparing the total in your pension statement to box 1 of your 1099-R. Box 1 reflects the income received in tax year 2021. Box 2a is the taxable portion of your income received. Some or all of your income may not have been taxable, which is why box 1 and box 2a may be different.
Box 2a may not be equal to the total amount in your pension statement, because you may have:
- Received more than one 1099-R form (to cover various benefits)
- Made post-tax contributions as an Active employee and therefore a portion of your pension is non-taxable (“basis recovery”)
- Had a Workers’ Compensation deduction (which reduces your taxable amount)
- A non-taxable pension
What if I did not receive my 1099-R or would like a copy?
Your form was mailed to the address on file with LAFPP. Please allow time for mailing before requesting a duplicate. Requests for duplicate forms will be processed and mailed after February 11, 2022. If you would like a replacement copy, please call the Accounting Section at (213) 279-3040 or (844) 88-LAFPP ext. 3040.
To update your mailing address on file with LAFPP you must change in two places:
- Access MyLAFPP
- Click Personal Information
- Click Address & Contact Information (to confirm information)
- Click Update Address (to change mailing address)
- Click Submit
- Return to MyLAFPP homepage (by clicking on LAFPP logo) and click Retiree Benefits
- Click Pension Payment
- Click Pension Payment Information (to confirm payment confirmation address is your updated mailing address)
- If necessary, click Update Pension Payment (to change payment confirmation address) and click Submit
For those who would prefer not to make changes online, please complete a Change of Address Form and fax or email, as instructed. This form can also be mailed to you upon request.
How do I make changes to my tax withholding elections?
- You may complete an Income Tax Withholding Form and fax or email as instructed on the form.
- You may make your changes using MyLAFPP in 5 easy steps
- Access MyLAFPP
- Click Retiree Benefits
- Click Tax Withholding
- Click Update Pension Tax Withholding Instructions
- Fill in all the information. Please fill in all the information even if you are only changing either federal or State of California withholdings
- Click Submit
IMPORTANT NOTE: In addition to Federal taxes, LAFPP is responsible for tax withholding only in the state of California. Since LAFPP does not have an operating business presence in other states, we do not offer tax withholding for states other than California.
I have more questions… who do I contact?
- Taxability of your LAFPP pension
- State and Federal Withholding Elections and Changes
- Address Changes
- 1099-R – General Information
- Request for Duplicate Copies (after February 11)
- Taxable Health Subsidy