MEDICARE PART B PREMIUM REIMBURSEMENT FOR 2020
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has recently announced that the standard Part B monthly premium for the 2020 calendar year will increase to $144.60 on January 1, 2020.
Eligible Retirees and Qualified Survivors - If your Medicare Part B premium has increased or if it differs from the reimbursement amount shown on your pension check statement, you can update your Part B reimbursement amount by submitting a copy of your:
- Social Security New Benefit Amount for 2020 or
- next Medicare Billing Statement
Please send all documentation to the Medical and Dental Benefits Section via:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax to: (213) 628-7782
- Mail to: Department of Fire and Police Pensions, Attn: Medical and Dental Benefits, 701 E. Third St., Ste 200, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Due to the anticipated high volume of submissions, it may take two to three months after receipt of valid Part B documentation for your new reimbursement amount to be reflected in your pension check.
As a reminder, Part B reimbursement only applies to Retirees or Qualified Survivors who are eligible for an LAFPP health subsidy and are enrolled in both Medicare Parts A and B. Any additional fees required by CMS are not eligible for reimbursement.
If you have specific questions about your current Part B reimbursement amount, please contact the Medical and Dental Benefits Section at (213) 279-3115 or toll-free at (844) 88-LAFPP ext. 93115.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How do I know if I am eligible for Part B reimbursement?
You must be a retired member or qualified survivor who is receiving a pension and enrolled in both Medicare Parts A and B.
2. What document do I need to submit to receive my correct Part B reimbursement amount?
You may submit a copy of your Social Security benefits verification statement (Your “New Benefit Amount”) or a copy of your 2020 CMS billing statement.
3. My spouse (non-LAFPP member) is currently enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. Does he/she need to submit Medicare Part B premium documentation?
No. Only the member or a Qualified Surviving Spouse/Domestic Partner enrolled in Parts A and B is eligible for Medicare Part B premium reimbursement.
4. I received a letter stating that I pay a higher Part B premium based on my income level (Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount, i.e., IRMAA). May I submit this letter as proof of my Part B premium?
Yes. You may submit a copy of the first page of your IRMAA letter as long as it contains your name, address, and 2020 monthly Medicare Part B premium deduction. LAFPP does not reimburse IRMAA fees, so the Part B reimbursement will not exceed $144.60 per month.
5. I receive a monthly Social Security payment, but I did not receive / cannot locate my “New Benefit Amount” Statement. What can I do?
You can call or visit your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office. You can also access proof of your 2020 Medicare Part B basic premium online at the SSA website: https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/. You may be required to create or register your SSA account.
6. When do I need to provide LAFPP documentation of my Part B Premium?
You may submit your documentation at any time during 2020 and receive a retroactive reimbursement for up to 12 pension roll months from the date your submission is received.