MEDICARE PART B PREMIUM REIMBURSEMENT FOR 2022
SPECIAL NOTICE: This article only applies to Retired Members and Qualified Surviving Spouses/Domestic Partners of the Los Angeles Fire & Police Pension Plan.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has increased the standard Medicare Part B monthly premium to $170.10 effective January 1, 2022; however, you may pay a different amount determined by CMS.
- If you are a new Medicare Part B enrollee in 2022, you will be reimbursed the standard monthly premium of $170.10 and will only need to provide a copy of your Medicare card.
- If you received a Medicare Part B reimbursement of $148.50 or less on your pension check in 2021, you will need to provide documentation to update your Part B reimbursement amount for 2022.
- If you have been receiving a Part B reimbursement that is lower than your basic Part B premium, you may be retroactively reimbursed for your Part B premiums for up to 12 months.
To update your Part B reimbursement for the 2022 calendar year:
Please submit a copy of either:
- The front page of your Social Security New Benefit Amount statement for 2022; or
- Your next Medicare monthly or quarterly billing statement (if you do not receive Social Security benefits)
To update your Part B reimbursement for premiums paid during the 2021 calendar year:
Please submit a copy of your:
- Social Security New Benefit Amount statement for 2021; or
- Form SSA 1099 for 2021; or
- First Medicare monthly or quarterly billing statement for 2021
We recommend that you redact or avoid providing any personal identifiable information such as your address, birthdate, and all but the last four digits of your Social Security Number (SSN) from the documents before you submit them. If the document does not have the last four digits of your SSN, please include that at the top of your documents. Please send all documents to LAFPP’s Medical & Dental Benefits Section via:
- Email to: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Fax to: (213) 628-7782; or
- Mail to: Department of Fire and Police Pensions, Attn: Medical & Dental Benefits, 701 E. 3rd Street, Suite 200, Los Angeles, CA 90013
Due to the anticipated high volume of submissions, it may take at least two to three months to process your Part B documentation and update your reimbursement amount on your LAFPP pension payment.
As a reminder, Part B reimbursement only applies to Retired Members or Qualified Survivors who are eligible for an LAFPP health subsidy and are enrolled in both Medicare Parts A and B. Any additional Part B fees or penalties charged by CMS are not eligible for reimbursement.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I know if I am eligible for Part B reimbursement?
You must be a retired member or qualified survivor who is receiving a pension and is eligible for a health subsidy, and enrolled in both Medicare Parts A and B.
2. What document do I need to submit to receive my correct Part B reimbursement amount?
You must submit a copy of your Social Security benefits verification statement (your “New Benefit Amount”) or a copy of a 2022 Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) billing statement.
3. My spouse (non-LAFPP member) is currently enrolled in Medicare Parts A and B. Does he/she need to submit Medicare Part B premium documentation?
No. Only the retired member or Qualified Survivor enrolled in Parts A and B is eligible for Medicare Part B premium reimbursement.
4. I received a letter stating that I pay a higher Part B premium based on my income level (Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount – “IRMAA”). May I submit this letter as proof of my Part B premium?
Yes. You may submit a copy of the first page of your IRMAA letter if it contains your name, address and 2022 monthly Medicare Part B premium deduction. LAFPP does not reimburse IRMAA fees, so your Part B reimbursement will not exceed the 2022 standard monthly premium of $170.10.
5. I receive a monthly Social Security payment, but I did not receive/cannot locate my “New Benefit Amount” Statement from Social Security. What should I do?
You may call or visit your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office. To locate your local SSA office and/or telephone number, you may check their website: https://secure.ssa.gov/ICON. You may also access proof of your 2022 Medicare Part B basic premium online at the SSA website: www.ssa.gov/myaccount. You may be required to create or register your SSA account. Please note that once you have an online account, your SSA notifications will be emailed to you.
6. When do I need to provide LAFPP documentation of my Part B Premium?
You may submit your documentation as soon as it is available and receive a retroactive reimbursement for up to twelve (12) pension roll months from the date your submission is received.
If you have additional questions about your Medicare Part B reimbursement, please contact the Medical and Dental Benefits Section at (213) 279-3115, toll free at (844) 88-LAFPP ext. 3115, or via email to email@example.com.