Sign Up for a DROP Group Counseling Session
The effective date of the ordinance amending the DROP Program has been changed to February 1, 2019. If you enter the DROP Program by January 31, 2019, you will not be subject to the proposed amendments.
To accommodate the increased interest from approximately 600 members currently eligible to enter the DROP Program, group counseling sessions will be held and the Steps to Enter DROP have been modified. You must make a reservation to attend a group counseling session so that your personalized paperwork can be prepared in advance. Individual counseling sessions will resume in February 2019.
Step 1 – Choose a group counseling date:
- 11/28/18 – Full
- 12/4/18 – Full
- 12/11/18 – Full
- 12/19/18 – Full
- 12/27/18 – Full
- 1/9/19 – Full
All sessions will begin at 9:00 a.m. and last approximately 2 hours at a location downtown. All other details including parking will be provided upon confirmation date.
Step 2 – Call LAFPP DROP/Service Pensions at (213) 279-3100.
- Provide your preferred group counseling date
- Choose a DROP entry effective date.
- DROP will draft your Letter of Intent and email you the forms/information packet
Step 3 – Attend your confirmed Group Counseling Session.
- All forms will be filled out during the sessions.
- Any questions can be answered at that time.
- You will meet with a DROP Counselor to verify all forms were completed accurately.
Things to Consider
- Start the process immediately to ensure you can reserve a spot in an LAFPP DROP Group Counseling session.
- You must be on active/duty working status on your DROP entry effective date. In the event you are sick, on vacation or any other non-working status on that date, your DROP entry date will automatically advance to the next qualifying date. This event could push you into the new DROP and you will be subject to the proposed DROP amendments, which have a pending effective date of February 1, 2019.
- To revoke your DROP entry, you will only have until 11:59 p.m. on the day before your DROP effective date. You must submit a signed revocation form to LAFPP in person, by fax (213-628-7716) or email (DROPSP@lafpp.com) by 11:59 p.m. on that date prior to your effective date. Otherwise, your decision to participate in DROP becomes irrevocable on your entry date.
Records You Will Need
- California Driver’s License
- Social Security numbers and birth certificates for your spouse/domestic partner and any minor/dependent children
- Marriage certificate or state-registered domestic partnership documents (LAFPP Domestic Partnership form should be on file)
- Dissolution of marriage documents for all prior marriages