LAFPP Service Updates
Essential Services Continue – We Are Here To Serve You
In support of social distancing, LAFPP offices are temporarily closed to walk-in member visits. For your convenience, services may be conducted through virtual meetings (via Zoom platform), email, and by phone. Members who wish to receive in-person services may request an appointment in advance by contacting our department. Staff is available Monday through Friday, during regular business hours (7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.) except during holidays.
Click to view the Benefits of Virtual Counseling.
We truly appreciate your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and provide you with any new developments on any changes in our services.
Expand each title to see how we are handling operating challenges during the coronavirus pandemic:
Reconstitution Plan – Safely Resume In-Person Services
As Mayor Garcetti begins to lift the Safer at Home order in phases, we have developed a Reconstitution Plan to help us prepare to gradually and safely resume regular in-person services for both our members and staff. Generally, the plan includes the following aspects:
Visitor and employee requirements
- Prescheduled appointments for all visitors*
- Masks are highly recommended during 1-on-1 conversations with others and in common areas
- Maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet or more
Occupancy requirements for the building and office
- Limiting the number of visitors and staff
Health & Safety
- Cleaning and disinfection
- General hygiene – hand washing, cough and sneeze etiquette
Training for staff
- COVID-19, symptoms, how to prevent, how it is spread
- City procedures/policies for preventing the spread of COVID-19
- Safe work practices
*Please note that we are still servicing members telephonically or virtually.
It is our priority to provide a safe and healthy workplace for employees, members and other visitors. We will continue to provide you updates on the gradual reopening of the LAFPP offices.
ESSENTIAL SERVICES CONTINUE
The majority of our staff continues to work a hybrid schedule to provide you the essential services:
- Retirement Counseling- Remote counseling is available for those applying for a Service Retirement or DROP Entry/Exits. You may elect a video conference when you schedule your appointment. For more information, visit our Enhanced Services article.
- Financial Planning Education Seminars are postponed until further notice. Webinars are in currently in progress. Please visit our Seminars/Workshops page to view upcoming dates.
- Board meetings – The meetings of the Board of Fire and Police Pension Commissioners will continue as scheduled and conducted telephonically. For the latest agenda, instructions for public comments or to livestream from the website: Visit the Board Meetings Page.
MyLAFPP Services – The following services and transactions can be conducted online using MyLAFPP. Click here to log on.
- Run Pension and DROP Estimates
- View Annual Statements
- View Semi-Annual DROP Statements
- Update Beneficiaries
LAFPP.com – View benefit information and download forms from our website.
- Current news and events, and MyLAFPP Login on the homepage
- View services by Active or Retired membership
- Download forms – can be submitted by email or fax
- View a list of LAFPP services and contacts
In addition to the above online services, we encourage you to call our offices during our regular business hours of 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM, should you have any questions or need assistance. Our main office number is (213) 279-3000 or toll-free (844) 88-LAFPP.
Pension checks will continue to be paid each month as scheduled.
Now may be the opportune time to sign up for direct deposit if you haven’t already. Retired members and beneficiaries can sign up for direct deposit and make changes to their monthly pension payments/view summary statements through MyLAFPP.
Active members who have an upcoming mandatory DROP exit date or an urgent request to exit DROP soon can arrange a remote counseling appointment that will be conducted over the phone and completed electronically via email/fax. Staff will schedule appointments in order of priority.
DROP Entry Instructions:
- Call DROP Section at (213) 279-3100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) for an appointment
- DROP Section will provide your Letter of Intent (LOI)
- Forms will be e-mailed prior to your appointment
- Counseling will be completed by phone on the date of the appointment
DROP Exit and Service Retirement Instructions:
- Prior to contacting LAFPP, if you are exiting DROP or retiring, obtain a Letter of Intent (LOI) from your employing department.
- LAPD – Call (213) 486-6610 for appointment
- LAFD – Call (213) 978-3765 or email Sandy.Lai@lacity.org (preferred) for an appointment
- Call the DROP/Service Pensions Section at (213) 279-3100 or email email@example.com (preferred) for an appointment. Appointments are scheduled based on your effective date of Exit/Retirement.
- Forms will be emailed prior to appointment.
- Counseling will be completed by phone on the date of appointment. Counselor will go over the forms during counseling.
Divorce documents, if applicable, must be submitted in order to process DROP distributions and/or service pension payments. For DROP rollover distribution, please contact your financial institution.
LAFPP.com and MyLAFPP
Our website and MyLAFPP member self-service system provide you information 24/7 and are excellent resources for frequently asked questions. We encourage you to take the time to read through our newsletters and access your online member portal, MyLAFPP, to stay connected for current news and benefit information.
Please provide or confirm your email address through MyLAFPP for updates and e-mail notifications.
- View benefit information and download forms from our website (can be submitted by email or fax)
- Read current news and events
- Read more about your pension benefits in our FAQ: Active FAQ | DROP FAQ | Retired FAQ | Survivors FAQ
MyLAFPP – Member Self-Service System
- Click here to log on.
- For log-in instructions click .
Most Requested Forms
For all other forms please visit the Forms and Publications section of our website.
The meetings of the Board of Fire and Police Pension Commissioners will continue as scheduled. We highly encourage you to continue to participate virtually by:
- Phone Dial-in via Zoom: Listen to the Board meeting with the ability to provide public comments via telephone.
- Council Phone System: Meeting is broadcast for live audio.
- Livestream: Web Stream for live audio only.
For the Latest Agenda, instructions for Public Comments or to Livestream from the website: Visit the Board Meetings Page
Councilphone System (live coverage):
(213) 621-CITY (Downtown)
(818) 904-9450 (Valley)
(310) 471-CITY (Westside)
(310) 547-CITY (San Pedro)
Financial Planning Education Seminars – Active/DROP Members
All in-person Financial Planning Education (FPE) seminars have been suspended. We are monitoring the situation and following all directions and orders from Mayor Garcetti and other government officials. Please join us during our virtual webinars. Click here to view our current schedule.
Our offices are open Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except on holidays). Our offices may be closed to walk-in visitors, but there are several ways to reach us:
OFFICE CONTACT INFORMATION
Phone: (213) 279-3000
TTY: (213) 628-7713
Your call will be returned as soon as possible. Any messages left after-hours will be returned during our regular business hours.