LAFPP Service Updates
Essential Services Continue – We Are Here To Serve You
In support of social distancing, LAFPP offices are temporarily closed to member visits. Staff is working from remote locations Monday through Friday, during regular business hours (7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.). To connect with you, services will be conducted through email and by phone.
We truly appreciate your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times. We will continue to closely monitor the situation and provide you with any new developments on any changes in our services.
Expand each title to see how we are handling operating challenges during the coronavirus pandemic:
Message from the General Manager
Amid all this uncertainty during the Coronavirus, (COVID-19), I want you to know that our fiduciary duty to safeguard your pension fund remains unchanged. Despite the impact to financial markets across the world, your pension fund is protected against market volatility through means of diversification across different types of investments. I want to reassure you that your benefits are safe and your pension checks will continue as scheduled.
Our office operations have been modified to provide you with essential services as we continue to abide by the Stay at Home order (Governor Newsom) and Safer at Home (Mayor Garcetti). Staff are working remotely to assist you through phone and online services and we are not accepting visitors to our offices at this time. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding during these unprecedented times. We will continue to provide you with any new developments on any changes in our services.
This webpage was created as a resource for LAFPP services and information during this crisis and other helpful COVID related information.
Lastly, LAFPP would like to thank all the first responders for keeping our City moving forward.
Ray Ciranna, General Manager
Reconstitution Plan – Safely Resume In-Person Services
As Mayor Garcetti begins to lift the Safer at Home order in phases, we have developed a Reconstitution Plan to help us prepare to gradually and safely resume in-person services in the near future for both our members and staff. Generally, the plan includes the following aspects:
Visitor and employee requirements
- Prescheduled appointments for all visitors*
- Masks must be worn during 1-on-1 conversations with others and in common areas
- Maintain physical distancing of at least 6 feet or more
Occupancy requirements for the building and office
- Limiting the number of visitors and staff
Health & Safety
- Cleaning and disinfection
- General hygiene – hand washing, cough and sneeze etiquette
Training for staff
- COVID-19, symptoms, how to prevent, how it is spread
- City procedures/policies for preventing the spread of COVID-19
- Safe work practices
*Please note that we are still servicing members telephonically or virtually. In-person visits are still not available at the time of this writing. However, prescheduled visits will resume when we can ensure the safety of you and our staff.
It is our priority to provide a safe and healthy workplace for employees, members and other visitors. We will continue to provide you updates on the gradual reopening of the LAFPP offices.
ESSENTIAL SERVICES CONTINUE
The majority of our staff continues to work remotely to provide you the essential services:
- Retirement Counseling- Remote counseling is available for those applying for a Service Retirement or DROP Entry/Exits. You may elect a video conference when you schedule your appointment. For more information, visit our COVID-19 Response page.
- Financial Planning Education Seminars are postponed until further notice. The good news is that our plans for virtual seminars are in progress. You will be notified of upcoming dates.
- Board meetings – The meetings of the Board of Fire and Police Pension Commissioners will continue as scheduled and conducted telephonically. For the latest agenda, instructions for public comments or to livestream from the website: Visit the Board Meetings Page.
MyLAFPP Services– The following services and transactions can be conducted online using MyLAFPP. Click here to log on.
- Run Pension and DROP Estimates
- View Annual Statements
- View Semi-Annual DROP Statements
- Update Beneficiaries – Coming Soon
LAFPP.com – View benefit information and download forms from our website.
- Current news and events, and MyLAFPP Login on the homepage
- View services by Active or Retired membership
- Download forms – can be submitted by email or fax
- View a list of LAFPP services and contacts
In addition to the above online services, we encourage you to call our offices during our regular business hours of 7:30 AM – 4:30 PM, should you have any questions or need assistance. Our main office number is (213) 279-3000 or toll-free (844) 88-LAFPP.
Pension checks will continue to be paid each month as scheduled.
Now may be the opportune time to sign up for direct deposit if you haven’t already. Retired members and beneficiaries can sign up for direct deposit and make changes to their monthly pension payments/view summary statements through MyLAFPP.
Active members who have an upcoming mandatory DROP exit date or an urgent request to exit DROP soon can arrange a remote counseling appointment that will be conducted over the phone and completed electronically via email/fax. Appointments already scheduled will take priority. Please be patient as staff will schedule appointments in order of priority.
DROP Entry Instructions:
- Call DROP Section at (213) 279-3100 or email email@example.com (preferred) for an appointment
- DROP Section will provide your Letter of Intent (LOI)
- Forms will be e-mailed prior to your appointment
- Counseling will be completed by phone on the date of the appointment
DROP Exit and Service Retirement Instructions:
- Prior to contacting LAFPP, if you are exiting DROP or retiring, obtain a Letter of Intent (LOI) from your employing department.
- LAPD – Call (213) 486-6610 for appointment
- LAFD – Call (213) 978-3765 or email Sandy.Lai@lacity.org (preferred) for an appointment
- Call the DROP/Service Pensions Section at (213) 279-3100 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (preferred) for an appointment. Appointments are scheduled based on your effective date of Exit/Retirement.
- Forms will be emailed prior to appointment.
- Counseling will be completed by phone on the date of appointment. Counselor will go over the forms during counseling.
Divorce documents, if applicable, must be submitted in order to process DROP distributions and/or service pension payments. For DROP rollover distribution, please contact your financial institution.
LAFPP.com and MyLAFPP
Our website and MyLAFPP member self-service system provide you information 24/7 and are excellent resources for frequently asked questions. We encourage you to take the time to read through our newsletters and access your online member portal, MyLAFPP, to stay connected for current news and benefit information.
Please provide or confirm your email address through MyLAFPP for updates and e-mail notifications.
- View benefit information and download forms from our website (can be submitted by email or fax)
- Read current news and events
- Read more about your pension benefits in our FAQ: Active FAQ | DROP FAQ | Retired FAQ | Survivors FAQ
MyLAFPP – Member Self-Service System
- Click here to log on.
- For log-in instructions click .
Most Requested Forms
For all other forms please visit the Forms and Publications section of our website.
The meetings of the Board of Fire and Police Pension Commissioners will continue as scheduled, but will be conducted telephonically to conform with the Governor’s Executive Order N-29-20 (March 17, 2020).
The Board Room will be closed to members of the public during the meeting.
For the Latest Agenda, instructions for Public Comments or to Livestream from the website: Visit the Board Meetings Page
Councilphone System (live coverage):
(213) 621-CITY (Downtown)
(818) 904-9450 (Valley)
(310) 471-CITY (Westside)
(310) 547-CITY (San Pedro)
Financial Planning Education Seminars – Active/DROP Members
All in-person Financial Planning Education (FPE) seminars have been suspended through the end of December 2020. We are monitoring the situation and following all directions and orders from Mayor Garcetti and other government officials. We are currently working on virtual FPE webinars. We will notify you by email when the virtual webinars begin and the in-person seminars recommence.
Our offices are open Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except on holidays). Our offices may be closed to visitors, but there are several ways to reach us:
OFFICE CONTACT INFORMATION
Phone: (213) 279-3000
TTY: (213) 628-7713
When you call our main office number, please select a section and leave a message. Your call will be returned as soon as possible, usually within the hour during our regular business hours.