Enroll In DROP
Planning to enter DROP? Follow these steps to ensure a smooth enrollment process!
Purchase(s) of Service Credit. You must complete all purchases of service credit prior to entering DROP. A purchase is considered completed when LAFPP has received payment in full. Please contact the LAFPP Active Member Services Section regarding purchases of service credit.
Service credit should be purchased no less than six months prior to your anticipated retirement or DROP entry date.
Obtain a Letter of Intent (LOI) to Enroll in DROP.
Your LOI will be prepared by the LAFPP Benefits Specialist.
Harbor Port Police members: Please obtain your LOI by contacting Harbor Department Human Resources.
Airport Police members: Please obtain your LOI by contacting Airport Department Human Resources.
Schedule a DROP Entry appointment.
- Call the LAFPP DROP/Service Pensions Section to schedule an appointment no more than 60 days and no less than 3 days prior to your intended DROP entry effective date.
- Appointments are required and must be scheduled with the LAFPP Benefits Specialist assigned to process your entry.
- Once an appointment has been scheduled, your DROP Entry packet will be mailed to you. Prior to your scheduled appointment, complete the entry packet forms, but do not sign them.
You must enroll in person.
Bring the following to your DROP Entry appointment:
- Your California Drivers License or department picture ID card,
- Social Security numbers and birth certificates for your spouse/domestic partner and any minor/dependent children,
- Marriage certificate or state-registered domestic partnership documents (if not already on file with LAFPP), and
- Dissolution of marriage documents for all prior marriages.
- Harbor Port and Airport Police members: You must also bring the LOI prepared by your department.
Consider the following before entering DROP:
- You have until one day prior to your DROP entry effective date to change your mind and revoke your DROP application. Afterwards, your decision to participate in DROP becomes irrevocable.
- Per the Los Angeles Administrative Code, Section 4.2101(c)(1), your DROP entry date may not be backdated.
- You must be on active duty status on your DROP entry date. In the event you are sick, on vacation or on any other non-working status on this day, your DROP entry date will automatically be advanced to the next qualifying date.
If you have any questions, you may contact the DROP Section at (213) 279-3100 or (844) 88-LAFPP (52377).