File A Domestic Partnership
Domestic partners are two adults who have chosen to share one another’s lives in an intimate and committed relationship of mutual caring. Qualified Domestic Partners receive the same survivorship benefits under the LAFPP Plan as Qualified Surviving Spouses. Follow these steps to file a domestic partnership.
NOTE: A new Declaration of Domestic Partnership cannot be filed within six months from the date that a Notice of Termination of Domestic Partnership was filed with the Department. This six-month waiting period does not apply if the prior domestic partnership was terminated because of a partner’s death or marriage.
Confirm you and your domestic partner meet the following requirements. You both are:
- Capable of consenting to the domestic partnership,
- Not married or a member of another domestic partnership,
- Not related by blood, and
- At least 18 years of age, or have met the requirements of Family Code section 297.1.
You and your partner must complete a Declaration of Domestic Partnership.
Submit your completed Declaration of Domestic Partnership form to Active Member Services by mail, fax to (213) 628-7716 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you already filed and established your domestic
partnership with another agency, such as the State of California,
or another City of Los Angeles Department, submit your
documentary proof to LAFPP. Acceptable documentary proof includes
a copy of a State of California Declaration of Domestic
Partnership/Certificate of Registration, a copy of an affidavit
or declaration of domestic partnership filed with another City of
Los Angeles Department, a formal letter of acknowledgement from
another City Department, or similar documentary proof of a
domestic partnership filed in another jurisdiction, subject to
legal review by the Office of the City Attorney.
- If you and your domestic partner are both LAFPP Plan members, only one member needs to submit the Declaration of Domestic Partnership or documentary proof of the domestic partnership filing with another agency/City department. It will be cross-filed and will apply to both of your pension benefits.
If you have any questions, you may contact the Active Members Services Section at (213) 279-3140, (844) 88-LAFPP or by email at email@example.com.
Declaration of Domestic Partnership