Purchase Recruit Training Time
If you are an active member of Tiers 3, 4, 5 or 6, you may be able to increase your years of service credit for pension purposes. You may purchase the time spent in the fire drill tower or police academy to count toward your pension.
Why Purchase Time?
Purchasing your recruit training time:
- Brings you closer to having five years of service, which is when you become eligible for nonservice-connected disability pension benefits
- Brings you closer to the five-year threshold for a nonservice-connected lifetime survivor pension
- Brings you closer to the minimum years required for a service pension, depending on your Tier
- Adds to your service pension percentage, up to the allowed maximum pension percentage for your Tier
Use the steps below to purchase your recruit training time.
Obtain a Cost Estimate. Log in to MyLAFPP and click on the ”+” symbol next to Benefits & Calculators. Click on Get a PSP/Buyback Estimate/Application, then click on Basic Training Purchase Estimate. Verify your recruit training dates and click on Submit to generate a cost estimate.
Select Payment Method. You may purchase your recruit training time using one of the following payment methods:
- Lump sum
- Payroll deduction
- Direct rollover transfer from the City’s Deferred Compensation Plan or another eligible retirement plan
Submit a Request to Purchase. If you want to proceed with the purchase, you must complete and submit the “Request for Contract or Payment Instructions” form included in your estimate. You may submit the form to Active Member Services by mail, fax or email.
Complete Purchase. Based on the payment method(s) you select, additional forms will be mailed to you in 6-8 weeks. In order to finalize the purchase, please complete and return the forms as instructed.
Your purchase cannot be completed until you submit these forms.
Things to Consider:
- If you have less than five years of service, you must first transfer your entire Pension Savings Plan (for Part-time Seasonal and Temporary Employees) balance into your Deferred Compensation account, or other pre-tax source, then use your Deferred Compensation funds (as a trustee-to-trustee transfer) to purchase your recruit training time. If there is still a balance, you may pay the balance as a lump sum payment or through payroll deduction, or a combination of both. If you choose payroll deduction a service charge is applied. See your Summary Plan Description for more details.
- If you select the option to transfer funds from your Deferred Compensation account or another eligible retirement plan, you will receive a Trustee-to-Trustee/Direct Rollover Form. You must complete the “Member” section and then request the plan’s administrator to complete the “Plan Sponsor” section of the form. Please note that for transfers from the City’s Deferred Compensation Plan, Voya Financial is the plan administrator and they will return your form to Active Member Services to complete the transfer.
- Purchasing your service can be a fairly lengthy process.
Please submit your request at least six months before your anticipated retirement or DROP entry date.
If you have any questions, you may contact the Active Member Services Section at (213) 279-3140 or (844) 88-LAFPP (52377) ext. 93140.