Qualified Dependent Children Survivor Benefits


How to Qualify

To qualify for a Dependent Child survivor benefit, the child must be the natural or adopted child of the member, and must have been declared disabled and incapable of earning a livelihood prior to the age of 21. The child shall not be disqualified if he/she marries, or is subsequently adopted.

Please note: If a Dependent Child was previously disqualified due to marriage or adoption prior to May 1, 2009, upon request, Dependent Child benefits may be reinstated by contacting the Disability Pensions Section at (213) 279-3165, or (844) 88-LAFPP.

Dependent Child Documentation

Copies of documentation establishing the child’s disability may be submitted to LAFPP in advance. Documentation must declare the child disabled prior to the age of 21 and incapable of earning a living.

The following documents may be submitted:

  • Medical records
  • School records
  • Proof of Social Security benefits
  • Assisted living or institutionalization records

In addition, the following information, where applicable, is required:

  • Birth certificate
  • Member’s marriage certificate
  • Dissolution decree
  • Guardianship/conservatorship papers
  • Special Needs Trust information

Documentation may be submitted in person or mailed to:

Los Angeles Fire and Police Pensions
Disability Pensions Section
701 East Third Street, Suite 200
Los Angeles, CA 90013

Please note: Early submission of Dependent Child documentation is suggested. However, the determination as to whether the child qualifies for Dependent Child benefits will not be made until after the member’s death, as provided in the Los Angeles City Charter and Administrative Code. At that time, written request for the child to be granted Dependent Child status will be required.

Monthly Benefit Amount

The amount of the monthly benefit will depend on:

  • What Tier the member was in.
  • If the member was active member and whether the death was service-connected or nonservice-connected.
  • If the member was retired.
  • The number of survivors qualified to receive a benefit.

If you have a Qualified Surviving Spouse (QSS) or Qualified Domestic Partner (QD): Dependent Child will receive a percentage of the QSS/QDP benefit.  This amount is divided equally among the eligible children.  Review the Survivor Benefits Section in the Summary Plan Description for your Tier.

If you have no QSS/QDP:  Dependent Child will receive a monthly pension benefit equal to that which your QSS/QDP would have received (unmodified by the Optional Survivor Benefit for as long as the Dependent Child remain qualified. This amount is divided equally among the eligible children. 

Payment of Dependent Child Benefits

Payment provisions are the same for all children who qualify for Dependent Child survivor benefits regardless of the member’s pension plan Tier.  Payment options include: 

  1. If the member dies leaving a Qualified Surviving Spouse/Domestic Partner who is the legal guardian or conservator of the Dependent Child, benefits are paid to the Qualified Surviving Spouse/Domestic Partner on the Dependent Child’s behalf.
  2. If the Board determines that the Dependent Child is an adult who is capable of managing his/ her own financial affairs, benefits may be paid directly to the Dependent Child.
  3. If a Dependent Child is not capable of managing his/her own financial affairs, the benefits will be paid to the Dependent Child’s guardian or conservator over the estate.
  4. The Board may authorize payment to the trustee of a Special Needs Trust that meets the criteria of 42 U.S.C. Section 1396p(d)(4)(A), (B) OR (C).


For information on Dependent Child survivor benefits, please contact the Disability Pensions Section at (213) 279-3165 or toll-free at (844) 88-LAFPP.