FAREWELL COMMISSIONER GEORGE ALIANO
On June 20, 2019, George Aliano attended his last official meeting as Commissioner of the Board of Fire and Police Pensions (Board). After serving more than 18 years (February 14, 2001 – June 30, 2019) as the Police Retired Board member, Commissioner Aliano decided to not seek reelection for another term. He was first elected in February 2001 to serve the unexpired term of the former Police Department Retired Board Member and was since re-elected three times. His successor, Garrett W. Zimmon, will be sworn in as the newly elected Police Retired Board member in July 2019.
Commissioner Aliano’s career spanned 34 years with the Los Angeles Police Department (LAPD). He was elected as the Lieutenant member and served over 12 years with the Los Angeles Police Protective League (7 years as President) and one year as President of the Los Angeles Police Command Officers’ Association. He worked closely with the United Firefighters of Los Angeles City (UFLAC) and was honored to receive their endorsement along with the Police Protective League’s and the Command Officers’ Association while a candidate for the Board of Fire and Police Pensions in 2001.
Commissioner Aliano’s accomplishments include:
- Retired as a Captain with LAPD
- Bachelor’s Degree in Police Administration from California State University, Los Angeles
- Master’s Degree in Public Administration from the University of Southern California
- Professional Designation Certificate in Industrial Relations from the University of Southern California
- Received LAPD’s Management Excellence Award
- Appointed by the Governor of California to the Commission to establish a Police Officer’s Memorial on the state capitol grounds
- Served as Trustee on the William S. Hart Union High School District School Board
- Served as a Member of the Personnel Commission of the Wm. S. Hart Union High School District
- Attended conferences and seminars continuing his education in pension and fiduciary responsibilities
Commissioner Aliano also served two years of active duty with the U.S. Army (1961-63), one year in Korea, and was honorably discharged as a Staff Sergeant.
On June 20, 2019, the Board recognized his service as a Board Member with family, staff, association and union representatives and other stakeholders in attendance. He continually recognized and appreciated department staff and their efforts. He dedicated his active and retired career to the sworn members of the City of Los Angeles. We will continue to recognize his long history of dedication, commitment and leadership. Thank you Commissioner Aliano for your service!